Monday, December 2, 2013

Interview with Author T.B. Markinson

T. B. Markinson is a 39-year old American writer, living in England, who pledged she would publish before she was 35. Better late than never. When she isn't writing, she’s traveling around the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in England, or taking the dog for a walk. Not necessarily in that order. She has published two novels: A WOMAN LOST and MARIONETTE. I have had a few messages back and forth with T.B. and she is so very nice and sweet. I am so happy to have her here for an interview.


1. According to your biography, you did not start out as a writer. What were you doing before you wrote your first book?

Random jobs that I really didn’t like. My last job was at a university in Boston. It was a decent job, except for the fact it wasn’t what I wanted to do with my life. Before that job, I worked in a bookstore. Again, it was a good job. However, writing always called me. I’ve also worked at a newspaper, I’ve been a nanny, worked in fast food, I taught for a while, and I’ve worked with troubled kids. I’m pretty sure I’m forgetting many other jobs.

2. You wanted to get a book written by age 35. We know from your biography that you were 39 and, like you said, better late then never. I agree 100%. What were the issues you encountered that made the timeline longer as far as getting the book out?

Life was the biggest issue. Every time I would try to focus on writing, life would take over. This wasn’t always a bad thing. Jobs, family, and relationships are important. But sometimes, when it comes to chasing a dream, they can be a crutch.
The years passed. The excuses continued. Then in 2011, something huge happened. My partner was transferred to London, England. At the time, we were living in Boston, Massachusetts. All of a sudden I was unemployed and away from family and friends.
My excuses were gone. And I took writing seriously. This isn’t to say my friends and family weren’t supportive. They were and are. The issue was me and coming up with excuses.

3. A Woman Lost. Excellent book. Was this what you always pictured you would write, or was it something that came to you in a flash?

When I started writing this novel I had a different idea in mind and a completely different ending. However, the story and characters took over. Thank goodness, since I think it turned out to be a much better story.

4. Lizzie is such a wonderful character. You can get lost in her because she is so dynamic. Is she based on anyone you know? And if not, how did you come up with such a strong and unique character?

To be honest, Lizzie created herself. She’s the type of character that just kept growing and growing inside my mind. And she demanded a lot of attention from me. I would be taking my dog for a walk and then all of a sudden she’d pop into my head and talk to me. She was quite bossy, actually.

(Mollydee) I can definitely picture that! Lizzie is very strong willed.

5. Lizzie and Sarah's relationship is very interesting. Did you know ahead of time how the relationship would play out or did it come to you as you wrote?

Spoiler alert! In the beginning, I thought Lizzie would end up with Maddie. But as I got to know Lizzie’s relationship with Sarah, I realized that Lizzie was in love with Sarah and she would regret having an affair with Maddie and losing the one person who always believed in her. Again, this is why I’m so glad I listened to my characters and story. They made it what it is. Not me.

6. Maddie is a very important character. Tell me more about Maddie.

Maddie is the type of person who says and does what she wants. Her charm and care-free attitude draws Lizzie in and shows Lizzie how others see her. This is important for Lizzie’s self-discovery, even though Lizzie doesn’t realize it at the time. Without Maddie, Lizzie wouldn’t have realized what she had. Lizzie really needed Maddie in her life since she didn’t get the love and support she needed from her family.

7. Lizzie's parents and home life affected her in a big way. Did you ever have a point where you thought you would let them be accepting of the relationship between their daughter and Sara?

I wish they could be accepting, but it goes against their character completely. Especially Lizzie’s mom. Her father may be supportive, but he doesn’t know how to relate to his children or wife so again I don’t think it would suit his character to have him give Lizzie a hug and support her.

8. I adored the coffee shop talks with Lizzie and Ethan. How did you come to that being the place where everything got discussed and figured out by both Ethan and Lizzie?

Some of my favorite shows have been Seinfeld and Friends and I think all their diner and coffee shop scenes influenced my writing. At the time when I was writing it I didn’t make the connection, but I do now.

9. I believe this was a great novel and a great love story. I do not get mushy so I was surprised at myself at how invested I got in all of the relationships but especially Lizzie and Sarah. Was it always, when you pictured writing a book, going to be a romance novel? Or do you not consider it a romance novel?

When I sat down to write this novel I didn’t put much thought into what genre I was writing. Instead I just focused on my characters and the story. For me, I can’t force things. If I kept reminding myself that the novel was a romance novel, I think it would stifle me. Instead I just prefer to write and not to plan things out too much.

10. I love how you ended it. Did you think at all of doing a sequel?

I hadn’t thought of writing a sequel, but several readers have mentioned that they would like it. Some ideas are percolating in my head, but I’m not sure if I will or not.

11. I just have to ask, because I can see this adapting well to the big screen, a movie. Would that be something you would like?

I think it would be neat if it my novel was made into a movie, but I haven't given it much thought. Since I self-published I know how rare it is to get that type of recognition. But I won't lie, I would be thrilled if it happened.

12. Where is your favorite place to write? For example outside, in your favorite chair, at a desk, etc.?

I can’t do it too often, but I love to find a quiet pub. I don’t have a beer until I finish my goal. Maybe that’s why I write faster whilst in a pub.

13. What is your favorite food you must have while really into your writing?

Chocolate and tea. I drink copious amounts of tea while writing and when things aren’t going well, I eat chocolate. I couldn’t write without those two things.

14. You have another book out "Marionette" and I read a wonderful review by Hilary Grossman. Why did you decide, seemingly from what I read, to switch your genre? Or did you not want to pigeon-hole yourself to one genre?

Again, when I write I don’t try to put too much thought into things such as genre or sticking to outlines. I like to have a story tell me what to write. I’ve never been good at doing what I’m told to do. If someone said, “I want you to write a romance novel” I would be frozen in terror and I wouldn’t be able to write a word. My mind needs to be empty of expectations.

15. What can your fans expect from you in the future?

That is a very good question and I’m not sure how to answer it. Currently I’m working on a novel and a novella. One is about a woman trying to get her life back together. Her girlfriend is supportive and so is her family, but they are all a bit crazy so it isn’t easy. The novella deals with how one incident can affect the lives of so many.

I’m also hoping to finish a short story collection I’ve been working on. Other than that, I would love to just keep writing. I don’t know what yet, but I want to write.


I just want to thank T.B. for coming by to answer my many questions. She has been nice enough to gift me a copy of her other book Marionette. I cannot wait to dive into it and I hope T.B. will come back around again when I have more questions!

You can find T.B. on her blog: http://tbmarkinson.wordpress.com/
You can also find her on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/50YearProject
She has a link for goodreads.com also: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7166895.T_B_Markinson

No comments:

Post a Comment